DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript

T H E   D E R E L I C T   M I S C E L L A N Y

R e f l e c t i o n s   o n   f o r g o t t e n   a n d   a b a n d o n e d   s p a c e s

{menu} {about} {contact} {twitter} {disclaimer}   {autojumble} {miscellany}

Alphabetical Index
By County : By Type

A B C D E F G H I-J K L M N-O P-Q R S T U-V W-Z

A
The Aeroplane Graveyard
A yard set up in a Sussex copse in the 1970s to salvage parts from Cold War aeroplanes with a collection of airframes and aviation relics ranging in age from the 1960s to the early 1990s. (Sussex)

Arun G. H. Q. 'Stop' Line
A line of WWII anti-tank obstacles, traps, pillboxes and other defences ranged along the River Arun to halt or hinder an anticipated enemy invasion. (Sussex)

Atmospheric Station 'F'
A small atmospheric research station built in the 1950s to monitor meteorological phenomena and test scientific instruments for a local university. (Undisclosed)

Back to top


B
Barrow Hospital
A hospital designed in the 1930s to be a progressive centre for treating diseases of the mind. The outbreak of war in 1939 meant that work was never finished and the half-completed hospital served for 75 years until closure in 2006. (Somerset)

Baynards Works
In 1937 the Steetley Chemical Co. began operations at Baynards making batteries and pesticides. Activity on site ceased in 2005 leaving 80 acres of heavily contaminated wasteland and buildings. (Surrey)

Bedham Mission Church of St Michael and All Angels
A modestly-sized Victorian church and schoolroom serving isolated farming and charcoal-burning communities in the forests of West Sussex. Abandoned in the late 'fifties, it is now a picturesque ruin. (Sussex)

Beedingwood
A remarkable gothic fantasy of a house built in 1876 for philanthropic bacon merchant Thomas Denny. During WWII it became part of a pioneering rehabilitation hospital but was closed in 1983. (Sussex).

Betchworth Limeworks
See under Box Hill Quarries below.

Capel Blaencaron
An isolated Calvinistic Methodist chapel and parsonage built in 1875 by the side of a mountain road and abandoned some time after 1988. (Cardiganshire)

Box Hill Quarries
The white faces of the chalk quarries on Box Hill can be seen from the South Downs 25 miles away. Remains from nearly 200 years of quarrying include limekilns, crushing plant, engine sheds, tunnels, tramways and even the remnants of a narrow-gauge railway museum. (Surrey)

Boys' Village
The ruins of a holiday camp established in the 1920s by a philanthropic industrialist which served as a temporary escape from the dreary Valleys coalfields for generations of boys and young men. (Glamorgan)

Brockham Lime & Hearthstone Works
See under Box Hill Quarries above.

Bronwydd
A gothic sham castle built in the 1850s for the Baronets Lloyd. After a short-lived period of prosperity, the estate was crippled first by debt, then by the death of its sole heir in the Great War and left to ruin. (Cardiganshire).


C
Crychydd Woollen Mill
A small but industrious mid-Victorian woollen mill which ran one of the first public electricity schemes in Wales and once sent products all over Britain. In 1962 the mill closed for the last time and has been frozen in time ever since. (Undisclosed)

Carmarthen County Infirmary.
See under Priory Street Hospital below.

Chichester High School for Girls
The school founded here in 1908 was the Chichester's first council girls' school. In 2002, the school moved to a new site and the buildings left behind became a training centre before the whole site was abandoned to become the haunt of the city's homeless and drug users. (Sussex)

Christ's Hospital Station.
See under West Horsham below.

Cocking Limeworks
Limeburning at Cocking started before 1830, but the present works was built in 1920s to supply lime to the local brick industry. The demand for lime bricks had disappeared by the 1980s but the works continued producing until 1999. 15 years later, the site is slowly being reclaimed for nature. (Sussex)

Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
A Victorian convent which was home to a closed community of Carmelite nuns until 1994. Once vacated, the austere cells and halls housed migrant agricultural workers for a time before being abandoned and then devastated by deliberate fire in 2009. (Sussex)

Cranleigh Brick and Tile Works.
See under Baynards Works above.

Back to top


D
Derry Ormond Halt (M. & M. R.)
A small but well-preserved Great Western Railway halt on the dismantled Carmarthen and Aberystwyth line. (Ceredigion)

Dorking Greystone Limeworks
See under Box Hill Quarries above.

R.C.A.F. Dunsfold Battle Headquarters
A subterranean set of rooms built in 1943 from which officers could co-ordinate the defence of the Surrey bomber airfield in the event of a full scale attack by hostile forces. (Surrey)

Back to top


E-F
The Epsom Cluster
A 'mini-site' charting the rise, decline, abandonment and redevelopment of West Park, St. Ebba's, Horton, Long Grove and the Manor; the five great Edwardian 'asylums' which made up Britain's largest concentration of mental patients for nearly a century. (Surrey)

Esgair-Mŵn Lead and Zinc Mines
This small lead and zinc concern has had a long and sometimes turbulent history including bankruptcy, legal battles and an armed takeover. Underground mining stopped here in the 1920s, but the tips continued to be worked until 1994, making this Wales' last lead mining operation. (Cardiganshire)

Ewhurst Brick Works
Established in the 1920s by the firm of A. Hone, Ewhurst produced stock bricks of Weald Clay until its closure in the 1980s. Since then, it has become a favourite haunt for graffiti artists and a haven for wildlife. (Surrey)

Back to top


E-F
Federal Mogul Camshafts
See under Weyburn Works below.

Back to top


G
Graylingwell Hospital
The former West Sussex County Lunatic Asylum was a Queen Anne-style maze of corridors, wards and cells opened in 1897 to be a self-sufficient community for the care and containment of the county's mentally ill. It served for over a century before finally closing in 2003. (Sussex)

Greystones Motel &: Trecastle Services
An abandoned 1960s motel and restaurant complex in South Wales last occupied during the foot-and-mouth disease crisis by protesters against the burying of diseased sheep carcasses on the nearby Epynt M.O.D. ranges. (Brecknockshire)

Back to top


H
Hollywood or Horton Lodge
A Georgian gentleman's residence bought by hospital authorities in the 1930s and used as an annexe to The Manor and West Park Mental Hospitals. After closure in 2003, it was badly damaged by an arson attack and what was left became the target of local vandals. (Surrey).

Horton Hospital
One of the Epsom Cluster of Mental Hospitals built in the first years of the 20th Century, Horton pioneered music therapy, malaria research and the treatment of sex offenders but closed in 2002. Most was demolished or converted but the chapel and superintendent's house remain untouched. (Surrey)

Back to top


I-J
Igloo 2 H.A.A. Battery
An anti-aircraft gun site built in the early years of the Cold War to provide artillery-based defence against Russian bombers. (Surrey)

K
Kingswood Wesleyan Chapel
A large Victorian chapel built in the suburbs of Bristol, one of the birthplaces of modern Methodism. Now little more than a burnt out shell. (Gloucestershire)

Back to top


L
Laporte Earths
A hellish maze of conveyors, silos, calciners, mills and pipes used to produce granular fuller's earth for the chemical, woollen and pet-litter industries. Closed in 1997, at its peak the factory employed 800 men. (Surrey)

Lawns
See under Baynards Works above.

Longhurst Lodge
A derelict Elizabethan Revivial keeper's cottage standing at the start of an overgrown coachroad leading up to the site of a mansion destroyed by fire in 1979. (Surrey)

Lowerbarn Cottages.
See under West Horsham below.

Back to top


M
Mid Wales Hospital
A large turn-of-the-century psychiatric institution hidden amongst the Brecon Beacons and slowly rotting from the top down after conversion plans fell through in 2008 (Brecknockshire)

Back to top


N-0
Nutbourne Brickworks
A substantial 1930s brickworks comprising dryers, moulding sheds, milling plant, a smithy, canteen and the remains of a narrow gauge railway system. (Surrey)

Back to top


P-Q
Portsmouth Greyhound Stadium
An iconic 1930s dog-racing track that closed in 2010, mid season, to make way for an already ailing redevelopment initiative which is turning Tipner into a ghost town. Now being fast destroyed by vandals. (Hampshire)

Priory Street Hospital
A derelict hospital in the centre of Carmarthen, founded in 1846 by voluntary contribution as a pauper infirmary and closed in 1996 (Carmarthenshire)

Purdown: Bristol No. 6 H.A.A. Battery
The bunkers, magazines and gun mounts of Purdown 'Percy' Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery now stand overgrown in the shadow of Purdown BT Tower but were once an integral part of Bristol's defences against air raids. (Bristol)

Back to top


R
Rowhook School
A long disused single-room Sussex schoolhouse later used as a mission room. Subject of an ultimately pointless legal battle in the 1980s, it now stands empty and decaying (Sussex)

Back to top


S
Shipley Special Duties Control ('ZERO') Station
A once top secret underground radio/telephone intelligence relay station to be manned by the ATS Auxiliary Unit in the event of a successful Nazi invasion (Sussex)

Silian National School
A decaying village schoolhouse closed in the 1970s. Latterly used as a village hall, until 2007 it housed a WWII roll of honour (Cardiganshire)

St. Ebba's Hospital
See under Epsom Cluster above.

St. Mary of Pity
A much vandalised 1960s Roman Catholic church and presbytery closed in 2003 and still containing much of the paperwork, furniture and service sheets from when they were last used. (Surrey)

St. Matthew's Mission Church
A small church established as a mission of Llanbadarn Fawr in 1871. Currently awaiting conversion to a 4 bedroom house. (Cardiganshire)

St. Michael's Parish Church, Llanfihangel Penbedw
A small parish church whose community has all but disappeared. Extensive alterations in Victorian times did nothing to halt the diminishing congregation and it was abandoned in the 1970s. (Pembrokeshire)

Stammerham Junction/Cottages
See under West Horsham below.

Steep Park
A rambling Victorian mansion built by a London jeweller. In the 1950s, it was bought the artisan son of an Andalusian duquesa and his wife who lived there until the turn of the millennium. (Sussex)

Swallow's Tiles Ltd.
A well-preserved small-scale Victorian tile works which produced handmade clay tiles and terra-cotta mouldings until 2008.
(Surrey)

Back to top


T-V
Tangley Place Field Station
A rambling Victorian mansion once home to a wealthy tobacco heiress, acquired by the M.A.F.F. in 1958 as a field research station. (Surrey)

Fferm Tan-y-Foel
A decaying four room farmhouse with barns, lean-tos and a worker's annexe at the end of a stony track above the town of Lampeter. (Carmarthenshire)

Tatsfield B.B.C. Receiving Station
A technical station established in the 1920s to monitor the quality of domestic and foreign broadcasts. In 1957 was the first place in Britain to recieve signals from the Russian Sputnik I. (Surrey)

Trecastle Services
See under Greystones Motel above.

Back to top


W-Z
Whitefield's Tabernacle
An historic nonconformist church established by Methodist pioneers George Whitefield and John Cennick in 1741. (Gloucestershire).

Welsh Martyrs' Church
A striking modernist church plagued by problems with the flat roof caused by the damp Welsh weather until it was forced to close in 2008. (Cardiganshire).

West Horsham
The remains of an Edwardian boom town that never materialised and the railway station built to serve it. (Sussex: Opens in pop-out)

West Park Hospital
A sprawling redbrick complex built to house London's insane, West Park opened in 1924, the last of the Epsom Cluster of psychiatric hospitals. (Surrey).

Weyburn Engineering Works
A large rural factory established in 1913 which made precision components for cars, trucks, aeroplanes and even tanks for over 90 years but closed in 2008 following the bankruptcy of its American owners. (Surrey)

Wonham Mill
An eighteenth century flour mill and mill house, much extended in 1914 and later used by an agricultural merchant's business. (Betchworth)

Worplesdon Laboratory
See under Tangley Place above.

Back to top


Home

The Derelict Miscellany: website and all content © D. A. Gregory unless stated to be otherwise.